Tuesday, January 10

Review: Xbox 360

Well I'm not proud of it, but I bought an Xbox 360 on ebay on Christmas day. I couldn't resist whatever cosmic message was being sent to me. Now I'm not completely insane: I only paid $70 more than I "would have" if it were available at stores. Which it isn't. When it arrived, I was afraid to open it out of fear of what I might discover. I don't have an HDTV, but I don't know anyone else who has one, either. And the truth is, it doesn't matter. At least not right now.

The graphics are rendered in a completely different way than any console I've ever played. When you play NBA 2K6 (highly recommended over the unsatisfying NBA Live 06), your player's face isn't just a rough approximation of polygons. You really feel like you're watching that player on TV. His sweat beads in non-repetitive patterns. His jersey flows with his movement, not based on some set programmed jersey movement, but based on the player's actual physical orientation.

In Call of Duty 2, the action is so real and engrossing that you will not be able to blink without doing it consciously. Need for Speed Most Wanted on 360 looks like a totally different game from the one on "regular" Xbox. In one of a very few disappointments, Halo 2 is unchanged from regular Xbox. Maybe soon they'll come out with a patch on Xbox live.

The system itself, from an aesthetic standpoint, is beautiful. Gone are the rough, hard edges of the Xbox; in their place are soft lines, a smaller and more efficient design, and improved functionality. The wireless controller can act as a remote power switch for on or off modes. Although the power cord comes with a massive "brick," otherwise the system is pretty sleek. The wireless controllers are a really nice touch too; for the first day or so you will feel that little tug from a phantom wire but it should pass.

One reason to feel good about the fact that I have a 360 and you don't is that the games currently available don't even scratch the surface of what the system can do (another reason is that it all costs a pretty penny). Microsoft clearly pushed its software developers to create launch titles on time for the console release. In 2006 and 2007, we should begin to see games the likes of which we have never seen before, games that really tap into the power of the 360's three (3) 3.2 Ghz processors. In particular, Gears of War is on my list for purchase in 2006.

While I don't recommend purchasing an HDTV simply for the sake of playing video games, I do believe that having an HD set would unlock even more about the 360. That's probably because the games were programmed in HD. But if you were expecting the 360 to be a regular Xbox with a few bells and whistles...you're in for a letdown. If you can get your hands on one, and you're a gaming enthusiast (James, I'm looking at you), the 360 has the qualities and features to back up the hype.

No comments: